Friday, September 2, 2011

September Featured Artist - Linda Snider Ward

Dancing to a Silent Tune, oil on canvas.

Linda Snider Ward is Ouachita River Art Gallery’s Featured Artist for the month of September, 2011. Her exhibit, For the Love of Horses & all Creatures, is a new series of oil paintings created specifically for this exhibition. "The title of the show reflects not only the subject matter of my blog, my website, and my Etsy shop but also my booth at the New Orleans Arts Market each month."
      "The majority of works in this show are painted ala prima, painted in one sitting. I enjoy working small and quickly. It’s a challenge to me to complete a painting in one sitting, to see the final results in just a few hours. As I work, I try to stay as loose as possible, painting shapes and values and trying not to “fuss” too much over certain areas. My palette is limited and includes only two reds, two yellows, two blues, and white. I mix all of my earth tones, blacks, and neutrals."
     "It is only recently that I’ve begun to paint what I truly love, animals. I have loved animals all of my life, especially horses. This love, I’m sure, came from my father who was a veterinarian. He taught me to love and respect animals. He also taught me how to draw at a very young age. My father drew animals very well, and I would sit on his lap and beg him to “draw a horse…draw a pig…draw a dog.” He would draw, and I would labor over copying the drawing exactly as he had drawn it. For the Love of Horses & all Creatures is dedicated to my late father Dr. George Thomas, Jr., whose compassion for all creatures (human too) influenced my art and my life."
Linda Snider Ward holds a Master of Fine Arts (drawing and painting) from Louisiana Tech University and a Master of Art (English/creative writing) from the University of Louisiana at Monroe. Linda is a member of Daily Paint Works, the Colored Pencil Society of America, and the Eye Twenty Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment